Monday, October 29, 2012

Chicken, Zucchini, Black Bean and Rice Skillet

Woah Nelly! I got this idea from a recipe I saw on Pinterest. It's my type of comfort food and is PERFECT for a rainy day - thanks Sandy! I tweaked it a bit to fit my style! I hope you enjoy!

Ingredients:
makes 5, 1 cup servings

  • 2 T of  EVOO 
  • 2 small zucchini, cut into cubes
  • 1 bell pepper, chopped (I didn't use this b/c I detest peppers)
  • 1/2 medium onion, chopped  (I didn't use an onion because I didn't have one)
  • 2 cups (16oz) chicken breast, cut into strips (I used frozen chicken breast)
  • 1 can (15oz) reduced sodium/no salt added black beans
  • 1 can (15oz) undrained diced tomatoes with garlic 
  • 3/4 cup water
  • 1 cup uncooked rice
  • Garlic powder to taste (I forgot to add mine - oops!)
  • Reduced-fat (2% milk) shredded cheddar cheese


Directions:

  • Heat EVOO in a non-stick skillet.
  • Add the frozen chicken breast, zucchini, onion, and peppers to the EVOO. 
    • if you are using fresh chicken breast, cook it in the skillet before adding the veggies. 
  • Stir occasionally until veggies are cooked and the chicken is warm.
  • Add beans, undrained tomatoes, and water.
  • Bring to a boil.
  • Add uncooked rice, stir well, reduce heat to low and cover.
  • Stir occasionally and simmer until all the liquid is absorbed.
  • Sprinkle with cheese (I used 1/8 cup) and serve!

OHMYGOODNESS! Not only was this was AMAZING but it was EASY! I love love love easy dinners! It totally hit the spot and I can't wait to eat more for lunch tomorrow - that is if the hubs doesn't eat it all tonight for dinner. Come to think of it, I'm going to wrap it up in a whole wheat tortilla for lunch tomorrow - NOM NOM NOM!

2 comments: