Saturday, June 22, 2013

Chicken Enchilada Casserole

A challenger in a group that I'm participating in posted this recipe this week. I am all about trying out new things. Quite frankly, my hubby is sick of the same old things I make for dinner each week.

So tonight I gave this Chicken Enchilada Casserole a shot. I really liked it but it was a bit too sweet for my taste. Next time, I will probably substitute salsa for the tomato sauce and tomato paste.



Here's how I made it this time (and it was really good!):

Ingredients:
- 4 whole chicken breasts, boiled and shredded
- 1 1/3 cup (2 servings) cooked brown rice
- 1, 15oz can organic whole sweet corn
- 2 cups shredded 2% cheddar cheese, separated into 1/2, 3/4, and 3/4 cups
- 3 Tbsp organic tomato paste
- 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 3 cups organic tomato sauce (no salt added if you can find it)
- 3 tsp chili powder, divided into 1 1/2 and 1 1/2 tsps
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper, divided into 1/2 and 1/2 tsps (if you like some kick - I didn't use it)
- 6 brown rice tortillas, thawed if using frozen tortillas (I used food for life brown rice tortillas from the frozen food section)

Directions:
- Turn oven to 275 degrees.
- Wrap tortillas in foil and place in the oven to warm.
- Combine shredded chicken, 1/2 cup of the shredded cheese, corn, tomato paste, 1 1/2 tsp chili power, and 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper in a large bowl.
- Section off the chicken mixture into 1/4 sections. You should end up with 4 equal servings.
- Combine tomato sauce, 1 1/2 tsp chili powder, and 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper, mixing well.
- Layer a small amount of sauce in the bottom of an 8x8 or 9x9 baking dish. 
- Take tortillas out of the oven and turn the oven to broil.
- Lay in a tortilla.
- Top tortilla with 1/4 of the chicken mixture.
- Layer sauce on top of chicken mixture.
- Lay in another tortilla.
- Top with another 1/4 chicken mixture.
- Layer sauce on top of chicken mixture. 
- Top with a third tortilla. 
- Sprinkle 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese on top of tortilla.
- Repeat the above steps for the second casserole.
- STOP here if you are freezing one, or both of the casseroles. Cover the casserole and freeze. 
- TO COOK THE CASSEROLE - place under the broiler in your oven for approximately 5 minutes. Watch the cheese and top tortilla CAREFULLY because if left in a few seconds too long, it will burn!
- Take out of oven, allow to cool, and cut into 8 servings. I cut mine like a pizza.
- ENJOY!



I hope you enjoy my new found recipe. I know my family sure did!

<3,
Kell

No comments:

Post a Comment