Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Homemade Granaola

In my quest for finding clean, family friendly snacks, I decided to make something I've been wanting to try for a long time - homemade granola. I mean, it can't be THAT hard - right?

Ok - so I didn't REALLY make it yet, but it's on the docket for this week!

Well, here's my recipe that I'm going to follow. I'm all prepped with my ingredients, I just need to wait until Wednesday when the kids are at daycare. Hopefully, this is what it's gonna look like:




(if you know ANYTHING about me, you know that the first time I try something new in the kitchen, I usually end up almost burning down the house - this is gonna be interesting!)


Here's my recipe:

Ingredients:
- 3/4 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1 1/2 cup uncooked oatmeal (NOT the 1 minute oats!)
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed
- 1/2 cup dried, no sugar added cranberries
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds 
- 1/2 cup shredded, unsweetened coconut
- 3T natural peanut butter (only ingredient should be PEANUTS and you can substitute almond or sun butter if you so desire)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/3 cup raw honey
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract

Directions:
- preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- in a large bowl, combine ALL ingredients and mix until evenly blended.
- press mixture into a parchment paper lined baking pan and bake for 40 minutes.
- remove from oven and let cool completely.
- break apart into chunks and store in an airtight container.
- enjoy 1/2 cup as a superfood snack!

I plan to add my granola to a single serving cup of Chobani Plain 0% Greek yogurt. That will count as my protein for my meal and will travel easy for our busy summer plans! 

Keep me posted with any variations of this recipe - I LOVE to try new things!

<3,
Kell

1 comment:

  1. So I never updated! I made this granola and OMG! It's AWESOMESAUCE! I make it once a week now and put it into my greek yogurt with a dash of honey for a sweet treat at night!

    ReplyDelete