My dad had asked me to bring a side dish. He was serving grilled organic chicken breast, chicken thighs, burgers, and a salad. I decided to try to find something as clean as possible, since my step-mom and I both like to keep it clean :)
After doing some searching, I came across Melanie's recipe (that she got from Sara Stakely) for Southwest Quinoa Salad. You can find her original HERE.
I tweaked it, just a bit, to fit my needs and my measuring style :) I was a bit skeptical of how it would turn out, but MAN was it good! Everyone loved it, including my kids!
- 1/3 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1/3 cup EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
- 3T (roughly) of fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1tsp ground cumin
- pinch of salt
- pepper to taste (I used a pinch)
- 2 cups, cooked and cooled quinoa
- 1 medium zucchini (or squash), diced
- 2 plum tomatos, diced
- 1/2 cup red onion, diced
- 1 can organic whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can organic black beans, drained and rinsed
- Mix the first 6 ingredients in a bowl and set aside to blend together. (lemon juice, evoo, cilantro, cumin, salt, and pepper)
- Combine remaining ingredients in a serving bowl and toss till mixed.
- Pour the lemon juice concoction onto the quinoa concoction and mix thoroughly.
- Chill in the fridge for at LEAST an hour to let the flavors absorb.
This was seriously one of the best salads I have had all summer. It was so light and refreshing. It would be PERFECT for a hot summer night paired with turkey burgers! Let me know what you think and if you make any changes!