Sunday, July 28, 2013

Whole Wheat Vanilla Protein Pancakes

So, this is a combination of my waffle and my pancake recipe. I kinda made it up this morning. The hubs ate it willingly and said they tasted great and he hates my "hippie & healthy" food - haha!



Ingredients:

  • 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (I use Bob's Red Mill)
  • 1/3 cup vanilla or cake batter protein powder (I used cake batter this morning)
  • 2 whole eggs (you could also use 3 egg whites) and I use organic, cage-free brown eggs
  • 1/8 tsp vanilla
  • pinch of salt
  • 2 cups unsweetened almond milk (don't tell the hubs - he thinks I used regular milk!)

Directions:
  1. Heat a large skillet or griddle over medium-low heat.
  2. Mix all ingredients in a large bowl until smooth.
  3. Scoop batter, using 1/3 cup measuring scoop, onto your hot griddle or pan.
  4. When the pancake bubbles, it's ready to flip.
  5. Cook another 2 minutes or so.
  6. Take off, place on plate (DUH!) and enjoy!
We serve our pancakes with turkey sausage links, which are a great source of protein and low in fat, organic unsalted butter, and fresh, local maple syrup. We I (I'm not speaking fort the kids and hubs here) don't go crazy with the syrup. Just enough to sweeten the cakes a bit :)

I also usually make a double batch of pancakes and flash freeze the extras so I can just nuke them for the family during the week. Easy, healthy, QUICK breakfast that everyone enjoys! To flash freeze the pancakes, place a layer of foil on a baking sheet. Lay the pancakes in one layer on the tray. Place another piece of aluminum foil over the pancakes. Layer another layer of pancakes on the foil. Cover with another sheet of foil. Repeat until all the cakes are layered and separated by a sheet of foil. Place in the freezer until solidly frozen, then place them into a freezer bag for easy storing and access!

I hope you enjoy our Sunday morning breakfast as much as we do!

<3,
Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment