Monday, November 11, 2013

Coconut Crusted Cod

O.M.G. This dinner was GONE in 10 seconds flat! 

Last week I decided to complete a 7 day Paleo Challenge. I enjoy the lifestyle but I also struggle with it. I mean, I AM Italian. Starchy carbs have been a huge part of my life. While I love my Mac & Cheese and my Spaghetti Sundays, I love the way I feel when I follow Paleo even more!



I struggled during the week with finding recipes for dinner that I could and would eat. Not only do I love carbs, but I'm also one of the  pickiest eaters out there. My food can't be stringy. I won't eat reheated fish. I don't like the hearts of romaine. My fruit must be crisp. And you can forget about eggs. I just can't do them. I WANT to eat them. I WANT to love them. But reality is that I gag every time I attempt to eat them. If you know any thing about Paleo, eggs are a staple! So, I struggle.

Thursday night I was tired after work. The kids had some Annie's Mac & Cheese for dinner. Don't judge. They are 4 and 1. I'm blessed I can get them to eat anything! Ok - back to me. I needed something quick and painless. We had some fresh caught Cod in the freezer and some broccoli in the fridge. Baked fish and broccoli is as favorite of mine. (I get my fish at Costco because they have fresh caught, individually frozen fillets. I just pull them out as needed!)

But I didn't want the same old fish I always have. I was bored and wanted something different. I searched my cabinets and found my shredded, unsweetened coconut and coconut flour. I put about 1/4 cup of each into a bowl and mixed them together. I washed off the cod and covered it with the coconut mixture. I put it into a greased baking dish and poured 1/2 cup of OJ in the dish. 



The results were nothing short of amazing. I topped my coconut crusted cod with the warm OJ it was baked in and dipped my steamed broccoli in the same OJ. I think I've found a winner winner chicken (fish) dinner! 



Here's the recipe in recipe style:

Ingredients:

  • 6 oz fish (I used cod)
  • 1/4 cup coconut flour
  • 1/4 cup shredded, unsweetened coconut
  • 1/2 cup no sugar added orange juice

Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Mid coconuts flour and shredded coconut in a bowl.
  3. Rinse fish under cold water.
  4. Dredge fish in the coconut mixture. Make sure to coat all sides.
  5. Place fish into a glass baking dish and pour OJ around fish.
  6. Bake for 22 minutes, or until the fish is flakey. 

Like I said above, I steamed some broccoli as a side and topped it with the left over OJ from baking the fish. It was DELISH and I made the EXACT same dinner Friday night! I would have made both pieces of fish on Thursday but I already discussed my aversion to reheated fish ;)

Let me know how it turns out and if you made any modifications!

<3,
Kell

No comments:

Post a Comment