Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Sweet Potato Chips

Sweet Potatoes. Are they a part of your healthy lifestyle? Do you shy away from them or run towards them? My entire family, with the exception of my husband, loves these magical little tubers!




Here's the big question. How much do you know about Sweet Potatoes? This happy little starch is a workhorse, containing vitamin A, vitamin C, manganese, fiber, B vitamins, potassium, and even iron! It can even be eaten if you follow the Paleo lifestyle! Yeah baby!

How about these stats: A medium sized sweet potato contains:


  • MORE than your daily requirement of vitamin A.
  • almost a third (1/3) of your daily intake of vitamin C.
  • close to 15% of your dietary fiber requirement.
  • 10% of your daily potassium.
  • antioxidents that have anti-inflammatory properties.
  • a mix of beta-carotene and vitamin C that rid the body of free radicals (which are necessary for some body functions but can also cause damage in reactions with DNA)

I love eating sweet potatoes, especially around this time of year. Hello Thanksgiving! One of my favorite ways to enjoy this veggie is by making it into chips. Yes - I said chips! They satisfy my crunch and sweet craving all at once! Plus they are good for me!




Here's how I make my sweet potato chips:

Ingredients:

  • 4 Medium Sweet Potatoes, scrubbed clean
  • 1/4 cup unrefined coconut oil

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
  2. Slick sweet potatoes to roughly 1/4 inch thick. I use the "thick" setting on my mandolin slicer.
  3. Melt the coconut oil in the microwave or on the stove.
  4. Place the sliced sweet potatoes and oil into a ziplock bag.
  5. Coat the chips with the oil.
  6. Cover a cookie sheet with aluminum foil.
  7. Place sweet potato slices onto the covered cookie sheet. 
  8. Bake for 25 minutes.
  9. Take out of oven and flip the chips.
  10. Bake for another 15-20 minutes, watching them carefully to make sure they don't burn.
  11. Let the chips cool. They will harden as the cool.
  12. Place in an airtight container and enjoy!
Let me know how your sweet potato chips turned out! Did you make any modifications? I'm always looking for ways to change up my recipes! Leave a comment with your recommendations!

<3,
Kell

No comments:

Post a Comment