Friday, February 15, 2013

Shakerock Shake

Well, yesterday is over! Thank goodness! 

I think I'm one of the only women on the planet that can't stand Valentine's day. It's not because I don't have a WONDERFUL Valentine. It's more because I don't want to be told on one specific day that I'm special. I want him to tell me every day. And he does. Life is good.

Ok - back to the real reason I'm writing this blog post.

Now that V-day  is over, everyone and their mother is moving onto the next holiday. Most of you immediately think of Easter. I'm here to tell you that's not it.

Here in da 'Burgh (woot woot), we have a massive love affair with St. Patrick's Day. Just take a trip dahntahn for the St. Patty's Day parade and you will see what I'm talking about. If you've never been, then you need to go!



St. Patty's Day is also the time the biggest fast food retailer in America the World pushes a very special milkshake.

Yup, you guessed it. It's time for McDonald's Shamrock Shake. I can honestly say that I've never had one because I'm not a fan of milk. But, I certainly know a lot of people who just HAVE to stop by Mickey D's to get one. Even if it's just a sip or two. It is tradition after all.




Have you ever though about what exactly is in that Shamrock Shake? Well, I decided to do my research. Let me tell you, it's NOT pretty. Artificial ingredients, dyes, HFCS, preservatives, heck even whipping propellant. You can find the exact ingredients listed in the picture at the very end of this blog post OR you can go directly to McDonald's website to see for yourself.

And have you ever thought about just how many calories is actually in a Shamrock Shake? How about the nutrients? Let me tell you - neither are very pretty. The nutrients are listed in the picture at the end of this blog post.

Anywho - Are you ready for these numbers? 

Remember, the calories in a Shamrock Shake are going to get you NOWHERE. They aren't going to tell your brain that you are getting proper nutrients. They aren't going to keep you full. They will, however, send you into a sugar high that will last about 30 minutes and then send you crashing back down, leaving you still hungry and wanting more.

Ok - to the point. The percentages in parenthesis are the daily value percentages.

12 oz Shamrock Shake
530 calories
10g protein
17g fat (28%)
84g carbs (28%)
170mg sodium (7%)
11g saturated fat (53%)
50mg cholesterol (16%)
73g sugar

16 oz Shamrock Shake
670 calories
14g protein
20g fat (31%)
107g carbs (36%)
210mg sodium (9%)
13g saturated fat (64%)
60mg cholesterol (21%)
93g sugar


22 oz Shamrock Shake
820 calories
17g protein
24g fat (37%)
133g carbs (44%)
270mg sodium (11%)
15g saturated fat (77%)
75mg cholesterol (26%)
116g sugar



I think I'm on a sugar high just from reading those stats. Seriously. SERIOUSLY! I am literally sitting here shaking my head as I am typing this. It makes me sad for the general population. Most people don't take the time to look these stats up. They just say, YAY - It's time for our Shamrock Shake! 

PEOPLE - WAKE UP! Do you know what you are doing to your body???

So, there HAS to be a plus side to this blog post - RIGHT? There is - I promise - I'm getting there.

Instead of having a Shamrock Shake worth all of those ^^^ calories, what if I could give you something that tasted just as good and was actually GOOD FOR YOU???

Well folks, I can!

It's called the Shakeology Shakerock Shake. I got the recipe from Chalene Johnson on youtube and let me tell you. It's AMAZING! It's HEALTHY! It only has 210 CALORIES no matter WHAT SERVING SIZE YOU MAKE!

How is that possible you ask??? Well, with Shakeology, if you want more volume to your drink, you just add more water and or ice. If you want to add a few extra calories, thrown in some almond milk. That will make it jump up 30 calories or so!

Normally I stay away from sugar free, fat free, processed foods in boxes. But this recipe only uses a TINY bit and I don't drink it often. It's a treat for me. Everything in moderation - right?

Ok - here's the recipe.

Ingredients:
  • 1 C water (more if you so desire)
  • 1 C ice (more if you so desire)
  • 2 Tbsp powdered peanut butter (I use PB2)
  • 1/8 tsp mint extract
  • 2 Tbsp SF/FF cheesecake pudding mix
  • 1 scoop greenberry shakeology
Directions:
  1. Put all ingredients into a blender.
  2. Blend.
  3. Drink!
Seriously - how amazing is that? How easy is that? How GOOD FOR YOU is that? Why on Earth would you want to drink some fake junk from a fast food chain when you could fill your body with the nutrients it NEEDS and CRAVES!

And just because I love her so much - here's Chalene herself making her Shamrock Shake! She adds a packet of Stevia. You can too if you want - sometimes I do and sometimes I don't!



Just incase you wondered, here's the breakdown for the Shakerock Shake:

22 oz Shakerock Shake
210 calories
21g protein
1.5g fat (2%)
24g carbs (5%)
189mg sodium (8%)
0g saturated fat (0%)
10 mg cholesterol (3%)
12g sugar

WANNA COMPARE THAT TO THE 22 oz Shamrock Shake?

22 oz Shamrock Shake

820 calories
17g protein
24g fat (37%)
133g carbs (44%)
270mg sodium (11%)
15g saturated fat (77%)
75mg cholesterol (26%)
116g sugar


The Shakerock shake wins by a million miles. The picture below will give you the actual ingredients for both shakes. I think that shows the true picture.





Thanks for taking the time to read this novel I just wrote. Sorry it was so long - this is just a subject that I'm quite passionate about!

<3,
Kell


No comments:

Post a Comment