Friday, February 1, 2013

Salsa Chicken

I seriously cannot tell you how much I love this recipe. It's taken me a few times to perfect it, but I think I have it down. 

The original recipe I saw said to add a packet of taco seasoning to the slow cooker. I decided not to because, well, have you ever looked at how much junk is in taco seasoning? I was researching a bit as I was writing this blog post and did you know that most brands of taco seasoning have added salt and corn starch? Who knew that either of those were spices needed to make you food have a taco flavor??? No thanks - I'll just skip the processed food!

The original recipe also called for an entire jar of salsa. Talk about making shredded salsa chicken soup! I had a hard time getting that batch down.

This time, I went back to the basics. It turned out perfect, so I had to share!



Ingredients:
  • 4 chicken breasts (I thrown mine in frozen!)
  • 1 cup fresh, all natural salsa

Directions:
  1. Get out your crock pot.
  2. Add the chicken and salsa to the slow cooker.
  3. Put the lid on the slow cooker.
  4. Turn the slow cooker to low and cook for 8 - 10 hours. You can cook it on high for 4 - 6 hours but I like to cook my chicken slowly. 
  5. Once chicken is fully cooked, use two forks and shred the chicken while it is still warm and in the crock pot.
  6. Transfer to a storage container and use throughout the week!
Seriously - this chicken is amazing and SOOO easy!

I typically use this chicken in two ways:
  1. I add 4 - 6 ozs of it to a bed of fresh lettuce and then top it with some fresh homemade guacamole, 2 Tbsp of 0% plain greek yogurt, and 2 Tbsp of mild salsa.
  2. I top a whole wheat wrap with 2 Tbsp of  fresh homemade guacamole, some lettuce, and then spread out 4 ozs of salsa chicken on the wrap. Roll it up and ENJOY!
I hope you enjoy this easy recipe! 

<3,
Kell



No comments:

Post a Comment