Friday, January 11, 2013

In the wake of tragedy

The past two days have been terrible-horrible-no-good-very-bad-days.

If you live in the Pittsburgh area, you heard about the horrible accident in Butler County. The one where a mom was driving with her two little boys, ages 3.5 and 11 months. They hit black ice, the car flipped, hit a tree, and the boys died. Mom walked away unharmed. It was a horrific scene. One that no one should have to see, let alone experience.

The mom in the story is my husbands' cousin. The little boys were our family. I can't even begin to imagine what she and the rest of her family are going through. I know I'm numb and they weren't my kids! Yes, we were close to them, but it doesn't even compare to what the immediate family is feeling right now. All I can do is pray for them and hug them.

Wednesday was a whirlwind of emotions. We were scared when we first got the call. Anxious as we got her other kids home from school. Sad as we were told the news. Anger as to why this would happen to these precious little boys. Confusion as to how this could have happened. Disbelief and complete and utter shock as it hasn't even sank in.

Thursday brought a haze upon us. No one could function. We were all numb.

Today, Friday, is devastating because it is the baby's first birthday.

Tomorrow, we were supposed to be at the baby's first birthday party. Instead, we are going to his funeral.

As I laid in bed last night, I was tossing and turning and thinking about everything. Somehow, my thoughts came back to myself and how I am going to handle this whole situation. I could throw in the towel with my clean eating and working out. I could gorge myself on comfort food. I could undo all the hard work I have put in so far. It actually would be easy to do seeing as how I haven't been enjoying my workouts.

But, I decided to do something different. I made the decision to abandon P90X. It just isn't for me right now. I have been dreading my workouts and that's not me. I can promise that I will come back to it at some point. We are not guaranteed any more time than the present. I am not going to continue doing something I hate.

Instead, I am going back to my soulmate workout. I am going to be doing the ChaLEAN Extreme weight lifting program but changing it up a bit this time. I am going to follow the CLX lifting schedule, but I am going to add in TurboFire cardio on the non-lifting days. So it will look something like this:

Monday - Burn/Push/Lean Circuit 1
Tuesday - TurboFire 55 EZ class and Ab Ripper X (ok - I like this one!)
Wednesday - Burn/Push/Lean Circuit 2
Thursday - TurboFire 45 EZ and Extreme Abs
Friday - Burn/Push/Lean Circuit 3
Saturday - HIIT 15 and Ab Igniter
Sunday - Rest

I will be mixing up the TurboFire workouts every 4 weeks along with my CLX circuits. I might mix them up even a little more if I start to get bored. The point is that I keep moving!

If you learn nothing from this tragedy, please learn that LIFE IS SHORT. You are not guaranteed tomorrow. Make TODAY COUNT! Do what is necessary to be your best. Forget the rest. Hug your family. Tell them that you love them. Kiss your kids, your husbands, your wives, your whole family. Tell them what they mean to you.  Be the best you can be TODAY for tomorrow may never come.

If you would like to do something to help out this family, there are a few ways you can do so. There is a fund set up to raise money for the family. Click HERE to donate.

Also, they are asking in instead of flowers for the funeral, donations be made to the Make A Wish Foundation or Animal Friends of Pittsburgh in care of the boys. Their names were Liam and Declan. You can also say a prayer for their parents, siblings, grandparents, and aunts and uncles as they go through something that no one should ever have to experience.

<3,
Kell


No comments:

Post a Comment