Thursday, January 17, 2013

Orange Honey Cranberry Chicken

Oh mama did I find me a keeper!

I went shopping with my mom today and came home with a bunch of chicken breasts. I am sick and tired of the same old chicken recipes. So, I turned to my good friend, Mr. Google, for some new ideas. I couldn't decide on just one recipe, so I made my own from a few! Here's what I came up with:


Ingredients:
 
  • 4 servings of Brown Rice, cooked (2/3 cup cooked is one serving)
  • 1 lb. chicken breast, sliced thin
  • 1/2 cup dried cranberries (no sugar added) OR 1 cup fresh/frozen cranberries
  • Zest of one orange
  • Juice of one orange
  • 1 tsp Paprika
  • 1 tsp Sea Salt, divided
  • 1 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil (can be omitted if you choose)
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 2 Tbsp Organic Honey
  • 1 tsp ground mustard
  • 1/2 cup natural orange juice
Directions:
  1. Cut and trim chicken breasts. They need to be on the thinner side for this recipe. 
  2. Cook the brown rice.
  3. Combine juice from one orange, paprika and 1/2 tsp sea salt.
  4. Pour the juice combo over the cooked brown rice.
  5. Chop cranberries and set aside. 
  6. Add oil to a large skillet and heat.
  7. Place chicken in skillet and brown on one side for 3 minutes.
  8. Flip chicken over and brown on the other side for 3 minutes.
  9. Add the orange zest, cranberries, remaining sea salt, water, honey, mustard and natural orange juice to the chicken. 
  10. Reduce heat to med-low, cover, and let simmer for 12 minutes. Check occasionally to make sure there is adequate liquid in the pan. 
  11. Make sure the chicken breast is cooked thoroughly by cutting through the thickest part of one of the breasts. 
  12. Serve 4 oz of chicken with 2/3 cup brown rice and 1 Tbsp of the cranberry mixture from the skillet
  13. Enjoy!
This recipe was AMAZING! I literally just had it for dinner and I can't wait to make it again!

<3,
Kell


No comments:

Post a Comment