Monday, December 3, 2012

Grilled Deer Loin Steaks


Deer season. Having the Monday after Thanksgiving off of school and work. Being a deer widow.

If you live in Western PA, or ever have, then you know exactly what I'm talking about!

The hubs went hunting this past week on Monday, Tuesday, and Friday. Guess how many deer he got? NADA.

He went out again Saturday morning. He was sitting in the freezing cold, up in a tree, all by his lonesome at 6:30 am. Not my cup of tea but whatever floats his boat!

He came up to the house around 10:30 and took about an hour break. He was getting frustrated. Once 11:30 hit, his orange attire was calling his name again and he was back to off to do "man things".

Then it happened. Boom! Boom! Boom! My son, mom, step-dad, and I looked out of my garage door and saw 5 HUGE doe running across the field. My first thought was "oh crap, hubs didn't get a deer and he's gonna be mad!"

Not even 2 minutes later, I heard the rumble of the Kubota RTV. Here comes hubs with a HUGE smile on his face! I came to find out that not only did he get a deer, but he and his brother got 3 massive doe!

And you know what that means...LOTS of deer recipes for YOU! Venison is one of the leanest meats you can find. We love it grilled, roasted, smoked, however-you-wanna-cook-it!

So, now that you've read our wonderful deer hunting story, it's time for the Grilled Deer Loin Steak recipe:



Ingredients:
  • Deer loin (back strap is the BEST!) sliced into steaks
  • 4 Tbsp Olive Oil
  • 4 cloves of garlic, crushed
  • Bacon if you desire

Directions:
  1. Slice the loin into 1 inch thick steaks.
  2. Combine the olive oil and garlic in a gallon Ziplock bag.
  3. Add the steaks to the olive oil and garlic mixture.
  4. Marinate for several hours
  5. Fire up the grill!
  6. While the grill is warming up, wrap the outside of the steaks with bacon*. Secure with toothpicks.
  7. Grill the steak to your specific desired tenderness. Ours is medium-rare to medium.
  8. Enjoy with some sweet potato fries and veggies!

*I omitted the bacon from my deer steak. I don't need or want the extra calories and fat in my system. However, I will NEVER get the hubs to give up bacon...


<3,
Kell


No comments:

Post a Comment