Monday, December 24, 2012

Santa's Cookies


So, here I sit. 1:11 pm on Christmas Eve. Kids are napping. I'm showered and ready to go. Presents are wrapped for everyone and under the tree (except for the Santa gifts).

WAIT A SECOND! DID I JUST SAY SANTA???

How could I forget? My kid's gonna kill me! If I don't do this one little thing, Santa might not show up!

I FORGOT TO MAKE SANTA'S COOKIES! 




We've got the milk covered (0% cows milk for Mr. Claus and unsweetened almond for the Mrs.) but THE COOKIES?!?!?! I completely over looked them! Do you have ANY idea how important Santa's cookies are to a 3.5 year old?

According to Wy, the big dude won't show up if his treats aren't laid out!

How did this EPIC mom fail happen? AHHH - ok - time for damage control!

So, I did some searching, found a recipe I thought looked good and tweaked it for us. Let's just say, that the dough is OUTTA THIS WORLD. I can't wait to try a cooked cookie!


Ingredients:
  • 2 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 cup creamy natural peanut butter
  • 1 cup organic honey
  • 6 Tbsp coconut oil
  • 2 tsp. vanilla
  • 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350° F.
  2. Combine whole wheat pastry flour, baking soda and salt into a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
  3. Combine all other ingredients except chocolate chips (PB, honey, coconut oil, and vanilla) in a medium mixing bowl. I melted my coconut oil in the microwave before adding it to the other ingredients. It formed back up once it cooled.
  4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Mix until all the flour is absorbed.
  5. Let the dough sit for 5 minutes.
  6. Add the chocolate chips to the dough.
  7. Using 2 spoons, drop the cookies onto a greased (or parchment paper lined) cookie sheet. Each cookie should be approximately 2 Tablespoon of dough.
  8. Bake the cookies for 10 minutes, let cool for 2 minutes, and then transfer to a cooling rack. I had to cook my cookies a bit longer (8 minutes longer) because my oven is weird. 


So, cookies are DONE baking now. Time for the true taste test. The first batch I baked were way too big. They were about the size of golf balls. You can see them in the back of this horrible cell picture. They took too long in the oven. My second attempt was much better. I made them ping pong sized and they came out great. Trouble is, I cooked them just as long as I did the big ones, so they are a bit dry :( Next time I'll know better!




These cookies are nothing short of DELICIOUS! They are even husband approved - and if you know my hubs - that's a HUGE deal!

Wishing you and yours the Merriest Christmas!

<3,
Kell


No comments:

Post a Comment