Thursday, November 15, 2012

Italian Turkey Meatballs

Ever since my gallbladder issues have cropped up, I have had to find new ways to get protein. My body just can't handle fat. So, I came up with these little gems! They are yummy and hit the spot. Not to mention I packed a TON of veggies in them! My family can't protest veggies if they can't see them - right??? They go great in a whole wheat pita as a meatball sandwich and they work really well as traditional meatballs paired with spaghetti!


Ingredients:
(makes 24 - 25 meatballs)
  • 2 pounds Ground Turkey Breast
  • 1 whole egg, beaten
  • 1 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
  • 1 cup onion, finely chopped
  • 1 cup carrots, shredded
  • 1 cup zucchini, shredded and moisture squeezed out
  • 1 Tbsp dried parsley
  • 1 Tbsp dried oregano
  • 1 Tbsp dried basil
  • 2 cloves of garlic, chopped or passed through a garlic press
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  2. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Mix by hand until completely blended together.
  3. Use an ice cream scoop to make meatballs and place onto a prepared cookie sheet. My ice cream scoop yielded 25 meatballs.
  4. Place cookie sheet(s) into the preheated oven and cook for about 20 minutes. My oven always takes longer so I cooked mine for 25 minutes and it was perfect!
You could also pan fry these to brown them on the outside and then throw them in with spaghetti sauce in the crockpot on low for 8 hours. That way, dinner is done when you get home! YAY!


Serving details:
1 serving = 1 meatball
Calories = 64
Carbs = 2
Fat = 1
Protein = 9
Calcium = 0
Sugar = 1

This data was compiled using My Fitness Pal. Data will change depending on the specific ingredients you use.

Enjoy!

<3,
Kell


No comments:

Post a Comment